Thursday, November 19, 2009

Home Office Update - Accessories (Long Post Warning)

In an effort to once again put off painting the top of the walls in my office/guest room, I wanted to try out the turquoise spray paint I got to see if I want to accessorize in turquoise or red.

The desk in this pic is my inspiration (click to see larger). The plan was to spray paint this desk in a similar fashion, but you know I have commitment issues.

I played the "Let's just have fun and see where this goes" card and decided to start w/ the $4.99 chair instead just to see the color.

Side note: The desk I got for Symone's room for $5 has similar legs. May use it instead.
Supplies:
LiquidDeglosser (keeps from having to sand before painting)
Spray paint
Gloves
Sandpaper (to distress if desired)


Step 1: Rub deglosser on with a rag (or a torn piece of jersey pajama pants).
Notice the chair is cracked. I need some Gorilla Glue, but will fix later. Need...to...focus...

Step 2: Spray paint (no pic).
Spray Painting Tip:
- Use short strokes (bursts of paint) in direction of grain to avoid dripping.
- If drips, you can 1) let it dry then sand later and touch up; 2) do what I did - rub drip with finger and lightly spray over.

Here's the outcome with one coat (and a flower courtesy of Symone - my flower child). Can't wait to find a fab fabric.
Love how can still I see the dark finish on edges and carvings. Has worn, distressed look even without sandpaper. Don't think I'll do another coat.

Also, did these. They have cute detailing in the corners.
Tried to sand the detailing so they stand out, but it didn't work well since are metal. Will rub and wipe some stain or gold rub and buff over them tomorrow and see how it looks.

Final Thought: Very pleased with today's work. Feeling very accomplished. Now to put it all together (and finish painting)...hmmphh.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! I love your chair, that color looks great on it! Can't wait to see what fabric you decied on

Unknown said...

Ok, wht color is that paint? I've been thinking maybe I should go light blue/aqua on my little piano bench instead of white? Hmm

Symone's Mommy said...

Thanks, Mrs. Chic - Spray paint is Mediterrean by Valspar from Lowes. Wall paint color - Sea Exposure Valspar Martha Stewart Signature from Lowes.

Dayka Robinson said...

Love the color and the chair, so cute! Can't wait until the fabric comes.

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Thanks for the paint color! Question-is it bright? I can't tell from the pictures. I want to use a color like that as accents in my kitchen.

Symone's Mommy said...

@Everybody - thanks for the positive feedback on the color. You know I am scared to commit to anything so this was a good first big leap at color (other than red)@LD - it's not bright. It is somewhat of a muted teal.The picture of the frames is very true to color. If you find the spray paint at Lowes, the top is exact.

Dreams of Perfection said...

I agree I love the color too!

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

I love your blog! What a great project. I appreciate you sharing your great tips (especially the deglosser that lets you skip the sanding phase...this is new to me and I LOVE it)!! What a beautiful color turquoise.... and such a blessing that it comes in SPRAY paint...my favorite way to paint...it's (almost) magical. :) Thanks again for sharing your great ideas, tricks and tips on how to simplify projects like these (I am especially loving the finger clean-up technique for drips...one of my favorites).
Warmly,
Tracey

Linda @ theLENNOXX said...

The blue and red bedroom is fantastic! Generally I am nit a fan of the color combo, but sometimes it just works fantastic! Your chair has beautiful carvings =)