Monday, October 26, 2009

Latest Unfinished Project



Remember the big buffet I bought during that 3 week phase when I was about to lose my job because I was loitering at resale stores.

Annette (my partner in crime) found some good stuff, too.

Okay, it hit me when I got it home...it is big as HELL! So I've waited to see if I want to keep. Think I will now that redid foyer (post coming soon).


The Plan...darken (or lighten)and change out knobs (or at least redo the original ones). Truth be told -- I don't know WHAT to do!

Check out my inspiration pieces. I am naturally drawn to dark wood, but am open.


Here are a few pics from Paloma's blog - see the pieces in the background




  • I like the black look of this one and the use of the pic right above it.









  • This one is nice, too, but not sure I love it.












  • I'm drawn to the distressed white, but am afraid to do it on such a large piece.






  • I like this one too...looks like something is stenciled on front.






Next steps - find the right product and go w/ it. Thinking of the glaze the the Shanty Chics love. They use on EVERYTHING but also paint everything Heirloom White.

Any suggestions?

12 comments:

Dayka Robinson said...

Um, I think I want to trade you mine for yours-I love that thing! I was originally looking for something like that when I ran across the one that I posted. I think I got one that will fit my dining room better, but I would've loved the drawers for silverware, napkins, etc. Will if fit in your dining room? If so, I would saw white. Is it solid wood? If not, the stain won't work so well. I always love black and that would be beautiful too, especially if it's glossy (my vote) with crystal knobs. Tell me more about the space, and I'll have some other ideas.

Holly said...

White would look fabulous, and if you believe me check out this blog http://www.inthefunlane.com/
She does amazing furniture redos.

Thanks for visiting my blog :)

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Let's see...give it to me and I'll SHOW you what to do with it!!! Oh how I wish I lived close to you! We would be buying stuff and fixing it up all the time! Staining take too long for me so PAINT PAINT PAINT! I just don't know what color. Black or white I guess...

Unknown said...

What a great piece! There are so many possibilities for it, but my opinion is to leave toward distressed white. I love the look of it and if you normally prefer the darker wood, it might be a nice departure. Keep us posted!

Andrea said...

Personally, I like the white distressed look...but, This is your piece, your house! If you like black or dark best then do it!! I would change the hardware. I think what is there looks dated! Good luck!
Visiting from Amanda's DD party!

Nadir @ Hodgepodge said...

Hi I'm visiting from Amanda's blog. I like that the peice is large enough to fit a good size tv on it. I personally like the black color, possibly distressed with an accent color underneath? And new knobs & stenciling sounds great too. Good luck!

Jen said...

I second the notion on the black....curious how you almost lost your job? I didn't know thrifting could be so dangerous LOL! Over from Amanda's blog. (I didn't post a dilemma but I have in the past and just wanted to check out everyone's!)

Unknown said...

I vote for black; and distressed a bit. Also, switch out the hardware. It's a great functional piece. Good luck!

Nancy

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

I'm voting black. Either way, I'm sure you'll make it look amazing!

Kaylie said...

Ooo! Pretty! I see awesome potential in this piece! It's kinda hard to know which way to go specifically in your case without knowing more about the room that it is going in.

If it were me, just looking at the piece, I think I'd lean more towards the white with the antiqued worn spots on it...it just looks like its begging for that kind of treatment.

But then again, I like the idea of going black with a bit of red undertone for the worn down distressed spots.

Either way, definitely new hardware.

I really hope you'll post an update on what you do to it.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I like the idea of going black with crystal knobs OR white with distressed edges. Either could be pretty. :) It's a nice piece. Thanks for linking up!

There's No Place Like Memphis Mama said...

Get one of these bad boys: http://www.amazon.com/Oz-CFM-Gravity-Feed-Spray/dp/B001T7KIFK/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1R3SN531I689L&colid=FH7WJTRPZXA

You will have that buffet done in no time. When I painted my china cabinet I found that once it was painted my hardware didn't look so dated anymore so you might wait and see.